Warsaw’s Old Town is the oldest urban center in Warsaw, mostly from the XVII and XVIII centuries of medieval building layout, surrounded by a ring of fortifications from the XIV -XVI centuries . The Old Town Square is deployed on a rectangular plan.
In 1944, during the Warsaw Uprising almost 90% of the Old Town’s buildings were destroyed. Only two buildings left.
The reconstruction project was created by a team of architects cooperating with historians and art historians, on the basis of old pictures of Warsaw. They used also old fragments of facades, elements of interior decoration, etc., whereas the interior layout was mostly changed and adapted to new functions.